19 June 2012

quirks

/TECH
As most design and development is apt to have, SharePoint 2010 and its associated software has quirks. These quirks can be documented or undocumented, but they eventually come up as someone out there is trying to use SharePoint in some specific way. I use Infopath and SharePoint Designer a lot as I design and develop custom forms. One of those quirks has become apparent to me as I was struggling for several hours one day to get a workflow functioning correctly. This workflow was trying to compare a username to a person field returning the login name as a string. SharePoint 2010 is new to me and the string builder features are much improved over 2007. One of those features however broke a workflow. It turns out that the new string builder treats the '\' just like most programming languages: it's an escape character. Thus when I had it trying to concatenate a '\' in a string, the lookup following it kept failing as it was no longer being a lookup but a string literal. Again, as with programming using 2 '\' actually inserts the character into the string.

/EXISTENCE
Speaking of escapes, currently I've gone through another bout of gaming remorse, this time from Diablo 3. I spent an unhealthy amount of time on the game over the last weekend, thus not getting useful things done, like working on my projects this blog is supposedly helping me follow through with, finishing my re-organization project, getting a haircut, doing laundry, or going grocery shopping. Was it worth it? The frustration and self-defeating said "No, and you're a loser for wasting all that time".

But I know I'm not a loser. It takes me a little bit of time to get over the initial depression that sets in, but then it turns into a priority defining moment for me. It was because of those thoughts and the realization that I can actually do something about those problems that in the time between writing the previous paragraph and this one, I went and got my hair cut and grocery shopping. It's amazing at how much better I felt after something as simple as getting my hair cut.

The same thing goes for work. Last week by Friday I was burned out. I was just wasting the University's money by sitting there while I did nothing but stare blankly at my screen. So I left early. Today I went to work and before I knew it, it was time to leave. In fact I stayed a little longer today because I needed to finish something before I left. Perhaps there's hope for me yet on accomplishing 40 hours per week.

Until next time:
Work hard. Play harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment