02 July 2012

doppelganger

/TECH
Doppelganger lives. It is quite gratifying actually, to finally have a server that I can run a combination of production systems as well as test systems on. Proxmox is a sweet system. The Linux based hosting environment is quite powerful and comes with my favorite price tag of free. Currently Doppelganger is running two other systems constantly: Pegasus and Balrog.

Pegasus is my current system for hosting TeamSpeak, but I'm trying to get it moved to another system called Raven. The reasoning behind this is that Pegasus is currently setup as a VM whereas Raven is setup as a container. The difference between the two is that a container is more isolated thus increasing security plus they are way easier to manage. Eventually I'll figure out my hang ups on Raven as I'm also trying to set it up to auto start TeamSpeak. I also hope to install both Murmur (Mumble server) and Ventrilo server applications on Raven so that I can have a more complete voice conferencing solution.

I thought Balrog was an appropriate Minecraft server name. Yes, I play Minecraft and I've dedicated a ridiculous amount of effort to maintaining the dedicated server for it. One of the things I've distinctly learned about Minecraft is that it likes RAM. It likes a lot of RAM. I've caught it using 1.5GB of RAM on my computer several times. It also likes a decent CPU speed, fast upload speed, and fast download speed. As it stands, I can only have about 5 people logged into my server simultaneously. But it's loads of fun and often worth the effort.

My first week with Doppelganger has been good, but I've discovered that the hardware I'm running it on is a bit… lacking. As a result I've been looking for ways to upgrade it without spending additional money. Solution: swap my hardware from Phoenix, my personal computer, to Doppelganger. This would then net me a much more powerful machine for the server but set Phoenix back a little. All in all, I think it will be worth the effort to swap the hardware to result in a more stable virtual environment.

It's good timing to do this transition right now too. Phoenix is having issues lately and Windows needs to be re-installed. Yeah, when your computer can't find Google.com, you know there's a problem with either your service, your router, or your computer, and since all other devices were connecting to the Internet just fine, it's the computer. So Phoenix will once again die and be reborn. Phoenix will take a step back in performance, but ultimately it will be better. Once I settle on hardware, I'll post the specifications.

Until next time:
Work hard. Play harder.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You should be writing for Maximum PC Magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought about writing for a magazine such as Maximum PC. Perhaps I'll see if they're hiring.

      Delete